Hummus is one of those culinary essentials that’s worth taking the time to learn how to make. It’s versatile, economical, tasty, quick, simple, and packed with protein. If you look online, you’ll find countless variations of this Middle Eastern staple. And while you can throw in some extravagant and unique ingredients to make it your own, there are some consistent ingredients across the board: chickpeas, tahini, lemon, garlic, cumin, salt, and olive oil.
This classic hummus recipe is delicious but also leaves enough room for you to incorporate fun and unexpected twists into this healthy snack.
Classic Hummus Recipe
- Juice of 1 organic lemon
- 2 cloves organic garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt*
- 1/4 teaspoon organic cumin powder*
- 1/2 cup water, divided
- 3/4 cup organic tahini
- 3 cups of cooked organic chickpeas (2 cans)
- 3 tablespoons organic extra virgin olive oil (garnish)*
Add lemon juice, garlic, salt, cumin, and a splash of water to a food processor. Blend for 10 seconds. Add tahini and blend for another 30 seconds while slowly pouring in half of the remaining water. Add chickpeas to food processor and blend for another minute while pouring in the rest of the water. Garnish with olive oil and fresh ingredients of your choice.
Five Unique Variations to Classic Hummus
- Matcha hummus: Add 2 teaspoons organic matcha powder* to the recipe to create a fun, green hummus (with a caffeine buzz).
- Roasted red pepper hummus: Add roasted red peppers and blend into the hummus.
- Garbanzo-free hummus: Try different beans or cooked cauliflower as a replacement for the chickpeas.
- Curry hummus: Add organic curry powder* for a fun twist on hummus.
- Zesty hummus: Add lemon zest for some extra zing!
- Shell the chickpeas for extra silky-smooth hummus. It’s the traditional way to make it and worth the extra work.
- Prepare ahead of time, then let the hummus sit for a couple of hours before serving to allow the flavors to meld.
- Homemade hummus keeps in the fridge for about a week.
*These high-quality, organic ingredients can be found at Mountain Rose Herbs
Mountain Rose Herbs | 152 W 5th Ave., #3 | 541/868-8420